Tuesday, July 24, 2012




It's been freakin' forever since I posted last, but it's okay because I'm not being lazy. Stuff is actually happening.

I know, right?

I could just bullet-point everything out but this is a blog. Who do you think I am? So here we go:

Ancestry & Manuscripts

My great grandmother (Omi) handed my dad a two-hundred-ninety-something-page manuscript of my great great aunts' manuscript a little while ago. So my dad, being my dad, decided to try to scan it and transcribe it via fancy computer software, but the paper is so old and thin that it couldn't read the typeface, which was weird (according to the computer) anyway. And so I have been ordered to type it up via manual labor. It's not a bad thing, because it's fascinating to hear them say things like, "the colored porter took our things", and, "jazz is the devil's music".

Oh, and for those of you who don't know, the great great aunts in question are Edith and Grace MacDowell, a.k.a. The MacDowell Sisters, a.k.a. The Sweethearts of the Air, a.k.a. a lot of other things.

This is them:

Grace = Left; Edith = Right

I have one of Grace's ukuleles (not pictured) from 1927. I'm afraid if I play it it'll smash to pieces, so I'm going to take it to Dusty Strings at some point and get it restrung by a professional who won't smash it to pieces.

I'm almost finished with the manuscript. 49 pages to go! Yay!

The other half of this story is that because of all this family history fascination, my dad decided to go on Ancestry.com and thus began to trace our family lines for 72 straight hours and it turns out that I'm not prominently Scottish like I thought; I'm prominently Welsh, English, and Dutch, with the minorities of Scottish and Irish mixed in. There was also this one person who was born in Zimbabwe in the 1600s, so I like to say that I'm Dutch-African as well. So although I am a European Mutt, at least I know what breeds make up the mutt.

So there's that.

I Learned to Knit

Yeah, what's that about, right? Well, Raechelle's friend's friend moved out of town and left her plentiful amounts of yarn and knitting needles behind. Before she took it to Goodwill, Raechelle took the yarn from her friend because she knew that I crocheted ("or something? You still use needles, right?") and that good yarn is expensive, so she took it home, and I said, what the hell, why not learn how to knit now that I have the supplies.

And so I finished my crocheting project, and I so far have knitted a too-short scarf because I ran out of yarn, and have started on another one. Because you can never have too many scarves.

Waiting List Crap

They pushed me back three goddamn spaces. So then I was #12. WTF. Probably all the people whose appeals got accepted. Lucky bastards.

Now I'm #11. Things are looking up, but not by a whole lot. So I have a backup plan.

If I don't get to be a leading psychologist at a world-class university, I want to do something artsy. In other words, if I don't get to go to Sealth, I want to go to the Center School. It's not top-class (for public school, anyway) but it's better than WSHS. It's a small, largely LGBT community, so there's not a whole lot of teasing or beating-up, and it's easy to fit in where everyone's different, and if anything, I definitely fit under that category. "Misc." That's me.

~*~

And lo, I have run out of things to say. So I will leave you all with this update and return to... I dunno... Life?

I don't even think anyone reads this anymore...

No comments: